India’s first crowdfunded, eco-friendly electric bike, Spero, was launched recently. The bike has been designed by 38-year-old, Coimbatore-based Manikandan who has been working on the project for the past three years. Three models of the bike are set to be released. Manikandan has been trying to raise money to turn his dream into a reality through a campaign on an online crowdfunding platform. People who have already funded the project have been provided with the option of purchasing the e-bike through the website itself.
According to a report in India Times, Spero is an electronic eco-friendly bike that can travel about 30 km on a single charge. The more expensive models of the bike can run up to 60 km and 100 km on a single charge. The bike has 5 gears in the electric mode and can do 0-25 kmph in 10 seconds. But the best thing about the e-bike has to be the fact that it charges itself as the rider pedals. Although the battery of the bike comes from Samsung and the motors and tyres from partners in Korea, the rest of the materials sourced to make the bike come from India, making it a healthy mix of the best from both worlds.
Spero runs on a 48V Li-ion battery, comes with a one-year warranty and charges from 20 to 80 per cent in 4 hours. Along with that, the funky looking bike also has cruise control, digital speed display and a battery charge indicator. The e-bike has a target set for Rs 30 lakhs on the crowdfunding website. The bikes will be available for pre-order soon and will range from Rs 29,900 to Rs 50,000. However, it is to be noted that this price is approximately 40% lower than what it would be sold at eventually.
The Spero uses a frame that is similar to the one used on standard bicycles. This done to ensure that buyers would be able to easily get replacement tires, or add extra features such as bike locks, bike racks and more. The Spero E-bike has already raised Rs. 9.5 lakhs and is currently the highest funded campaign onFueladream.com.
Our new, cool, funky electric bicycle takes the exertion out of riding a bicycle. It’s an urban commute vehicle, not only does it leave a zero carbon footprint, save you on big fuel costs, but will also ease the congestion on the roads in big cities
FACTS & FEATURES
- Comes in 3 models
- E-30 – Has a range of 30 kms on a single charge
- E-60 – Has a range of 60 kms on a single charge
- E-100 – Has a range of 100 kms on a single charge
- Speed – 25 kmph max
- Acceleration – 0-25kmph in 10 seconds
- Gears: Comes with 5 speed digital gears in the electric mode
- Battery: 48V Li-ion battery with a 1-year warranty and charges from 20 to 80% in 6 hours.
- Detachable battery for ease of charging
- Charging: From a regular 5amp socket like your Smartphone!
- Ease of use: Standard bicycle parts (Tyres, cables, mud/rear guards) can be used on the SPERO
- Tyres – Imported from Korea
- No driving licence required
- No insurance required
- Advanced features: Pedal assist & regeneration
- Has cruise control
- Front shocks & disc brake included
- Available with headlights.
- Available in funky colours
- Fits into all bike racks